Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Week 13 Storyplanning: The Fallen Kingdom

This week, I decided to plan for a story about a kingdom that was once great, but suddenly fell. I got this idea from the book Sacred Tales of India that I read this week. In the various stories, I kept coming across smany different names of kingdoms. I then started thinking about all of the kingdoms that we all have read about in the many history classes we have taken. All kingdoms come to an end, one way or another. I will tell the story about the fictitious kingdom of Reyansh.

The idea is that the kingdom of Reyansh will be the mightiest kingdom of them all, until an uprising occurs. I'm not sure what the reasoning for the uprising will be yet, but I do know that it will ignite enough people to cause complete chaos. After doing research, I've decided that I will have the great king of Reyansh killed by the rebel group that is fighting the army of the kingdom. 

In regards to style, I am thinking that this will be told by a narrator who knows very well how much this went down. I'm hoping to make this similar to how a grandparent would tell a grandchild a story before bedtime. I could start out the story like "Have you heard about the great Kingdom of Reyansh that fell abruptly?"  

Characters:

There will only be two main characters in the story who may or may not have dialogue. I decided to only have the king and the leader of the rebel group because I feel adding other characters may dilute the story. The men will be opposing forces throughout the story. 

King Yahnu- He will be the great king who is trying to keep Reyansh together, but is eventually killed by the rebel group.

Yanshto- The leader of the rebel group. He gains much popularity throughout the kingdom and is able to convince people that an overthrow of the kingdom's elite is necessary.



                                          Cool picture of a castle I found online. Link

Bibliography: Neogi. Sacred Tales of India. Link

3 comments:

  1. It really is crazy how kingdoms come and go. One of my professors is from Eastern Europe, and he’s told the story before about how he was studying in Japan and started making plans to return to his home country, only to be told that his country didn’t exist anymore. Not with the same name and boundary lines, anyways. I always found that really interesting, and there’s a lot of emotional currency there, so it looks like your story is going to be pretty powerful, too. Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have some awesome ideas here! It looks like you know kinda what you want to do already, so it will be easy for you to write a good story. Only having the two characters sounds like it will be a good idea. If it were me, I would definitely make use of some dialogue. I am intrigued to come back and see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg! The story you read this week sounds really interesting! There have been a lot of kingdoms in our stories throughout the semester so I think your story will be a very interesting take on them. So does this mean that the narrator was there when the kingdom fell and lived to tell about it? Will it be Yanshto? I'm excited to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete