Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Week 12 Story: Rama's Sleepwalking

Half asleep, Sita rolled over in bed. When she reached out to spoon with Rama, she only felt cold sheets. Rama wasn't there. She assumed he had to pee and thought nothing of it. Sita fell back asleep.

"I was worried last night when I didn't feel you by me," Sita said to Rama in the morning while they were getting ready for work. "But I just assumed you had to pee."

Rama replied, "Uh, I definitely didn't go pee. I slept straight through the night."

Sita decided to shrug it off. "I guess I was just dreaming," she thought to herself.

Rama and Sita experienced yet another boring work day at their mid-level, 9 to 5 office jobs. They went home, watched reruns of this terrible show called "How I Met Your Mother" on television, and ate dinner. After finishing the horrid show, they went to bed.

Sita and Rama both fell asleep very quickly. Then, like the night previous, Sita woke up to find Rama not lying beside her. She decided to get up and see what he is doing. Sita saw the bathroom light was off and Rama was not in there. She kept walking through the apartment to find Rama standing in the dark kitchen with their dog, Ravanese, in his arms.

Sita, worried, asked, "What are you doing?"

Rama ignored her, put the dog down, and went back to bed. Sita thought this was very strange behavior for her husband, but she followed Rama into the bedroom and laid down with him.

The next morning at breakfast, Sita asked, "What was last night about?"

"What are you talking about?" Rama replied.

"You were standing in the kitchen with the light off, holding the dog, and when I asked what you were doing, you completely ignored me and went back to bed!"

"You are crazy! I never went to the kitchen. I slept like a baby!"

The two ended their argument and went to work. The next night, after partaking in their nightly after work rituals. the two went to bed. This time, Sita was prepared to get proof of Rama's strange behavior. She placed her cell phone on the night stand.

Like clockwork, Sita woke up in the middle of the night to find Rama not in bed. She grabbed her cell phone and started recording. She walked through the apartment until she found Rama standing in the dark living room. Sita noticed that the window was open, but she didn't think much of it. Rama had probalby opened it to let fresh air into the apartment last night. Sita stayed quiet, as it seemed Rama didn't know she was there. With his back to Sita, he picked up the dog that was sleeping in his doggy bed right under the window. Without hesitation, Rama threw the dog out of the window of their 30th floor apartment.

"What have you done?!?" Sita screamed.

Rama, completely unaware, awakens.

"What the hell, why am I in the living room?"

Sita, crying, says, "You just threw Ravanese out the window!"

Rama was beside himself. He didn't understand. He fell to his knees and wept.


Author's Note: After reading another story about Rama and Sita, I decided to writ eanother one of my storeis about them. I like the idea of husband and wife drama, and Rama and Sita fit that pretty well, in my opinion. I got the idea for sleepwalking from a conversation I had with my girlfriend.

Bibliography: Monro. Indian Gods and Heroes: Rama and Sita. Link
Image result for sleepwalking
                                               Sleepwalking man. Link

3 comments:

  1. Your story was very interesting and I like how you changed the dynamic of the story to be husband and wife. I will say I didn't like how you punished the dog. How sad that it just got thrown out the window! I am wondering what made you decide that part of the story because you did not explain that portion in the author's note. Other than that I really liked your story and the way you changed it to make it more of your own.

    ReplyDelete

  2. First off, I love that Sita and Rama were watching How I Met Your Mother! Overall, I really enjoyed your story! It was such a shock when Rama threw the dog out the window! I started shouting at my computer because I thought it was a dream!
    One thing that could help add clarity to your story is after Sita falls asleep at the beginning say she wakes but with Rama next to her. I was confused when Rama was all of a sudden there in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, nice modern take on the story of Rama and Sita! Classic case of sleepwalking! Wow! I did not expect Rama to throw their dog out the window! I was left wondering what happened next? Will you write a part II story? Overall, very good job. Your story was interesting to read. I do think, though, that the picture could be placed in the story instead of after the bibliography.

    ReplyDelete