Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Week 10 Story: The Trickster Monkey

Once upon a time, there was a very smart monkey named Jaroo. The smartest monkey throughout all of the kingdom, to be exact. But Jaroo had issues. See, he didn't use his genius monkey brain for good. Instead, Jaroo used it to play tricks on unsuspecting animals throughout the Kingdom. 

One day while Jaroo was swinging from tree to tree, looking for his next target, he spotted an elephant in the distance. Immediately, Jaroo knew he wanted to mess with him. 

"I'm bored, so I think I'll have some fun with this big guy." Jaroo said to himself.

Jaroo swung as fast as he could and caught up to the elephant. He swooped down from the tree and landed on the elephant's back. 

"What the heck,,,?" the elephant said.

The elephant was completely shocked at first, as Jaroo began flapping the elephant's ears around. 

"Hahahahaha!!" Jaroo was laughing uncontrollably. He knew the elephant wasn't able to get him off his back, as he was able to hang on very tightly.

"Wait a second, I know you! I see you haven't changed, Jaroo." said the elephant. 
"Tamlar! I didn't know that was you! It's good to mess with you again!" Jaroo replied. 

Tamlar, had dealt with Jaroo before. They grew up in neighboring communities in the Kingdom. Tamlar was a very easy going elephant. It was very hard to make him mad. He let Jaroo get his laugh and thought nothing of it. Jaroo then began to swing from Tamlar's tail.

"Look Jaroo, I know you like to play around with other animals, but you gotta be careful. Not everybody in the Kingdom is as easy going as me." Tamlar said.
"Yeah, yeah ,yeah, whatever!" Jaroo replied. 

Jaroo got bored messing with Tamlar and climbed back into the trees. Jaroo began swinging from branch to branch in search of his next target. Suddenly, Jaroo spots a male lion taking a nap.

"Oh, this will be fun!" Jaroo said to himself.

Jaroo hopped down from the tree and stealthily approached the lion. Jaroo then thought of a funny idea. He found a leaf in the shape of a bowl and scooped water from a nearby creek into it. He then carefully placed one of the lion's paws into the leaf with the water. Jaroo waited...and waited...and waited...and then it happened. The lion peed on himself in his sleep. 

"HAHAHAHAHA!!!!" Jaroo coudln't stop laughing. The lion woke up.

In a daze, the lion wasn't sure what was going on. He saw a monkey laughing and noticed that he was lying in some liquid.

"What the f###?" said the lion. He then noticed the leaf bowl with water. He connected all of the dots and was very angry. Jaroo, not noticing how angry the lion was (due to his nonstop laughing) said, "oh man, I got you so good. Hahahahaha!" 

The lion then charged at Jaroo and slashed Jaroo's face with his claws. Jaroo laid there, shaking, with a very bloody face. He was scared to death. The lion's paw was pressed on the throat of Jaroo.

"Never mess with me, Jahko, ever again. Now go!" yelled the lion, who Jaroo now knows is Jahko. 

Jaroo had heard tales about a lion named Jahko, but he never thought them to be true. Jahko was the most dangerous animal in the history of the kingdom. He had never lost a battle.

Jaroo, lucky to be alive, scurried away. He would never mess with another animal ever again, and he would live with a large ugly scar on his face for the rest of his life. 




                                          A drawing of a monkey I found online that I liked. Link

Bibliography: Inayat. Twenty Jataka Tales. Link

2 comments:

  1. This was a fun story! I like the idea of personifying the animals! My favorite part was when Jaroo tricked the lion by placing his paw in warm water so that he would pee on himself. I tried to pull this prank on my sister one time. It did not work. This story reminded me of that memory and gave me a good giggle! I love lions too. It made me happy to visualize one in this story too. I got The Jungle Book and Tarzan vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good story that was easy to follow. I do think that the story would be stronger with an author's note at the bottom though. I have no clue where the idea of this story came from and it would have been a little helpful to see where you got your ideas from. Besides that it was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete