Monday, March 20, 2017

Week 9 Reading Notes: Twenty Jataka Tales, Part A

The idea of using monkeys in a jakata story is not something that I would have ever thought of. There's no reason for me to think this though haha

The search for the tree could have introduced a possibly troublesome time due to greed.

The idea for the king to build a temple for somebody like he did, struck me in a way I didn't expect, considering it's monkeys.

The start of this story is something I could really simulate in a story of my own, as it creates some type of mystery.

The king not going beyond the woods, in Banyan, really demonstrates a sense of great respect that I wish to employ in my own stories.

The use of animals in these stories and personifying them makes you think about the animals in the wild and if they really do have these human characteristics.

The tortoise and the geese immediately made me think about the tortoise and the hare, so I'm curious to see if there will be any similarities despite the difference in animals.

Also, I find it rather interesting in these stories how animals are working together to achieve a goal that doesn't necessarily benefit all parties involved.

Some of the morlas of these stories seem rather like common sense, but I'm sure that if I were to go back and look at many of the American stories, i would feel the same.

One thing I need to think about for my upcoming story, is the idea of learning a life lesson. This is because I v'e realized that I only write stories with the idea of making something interesting, but never have I cared about the actual lesson it's telling.



                           A cool detail picture I found that portrays various Jakata tales. (Wikipedia)

Bibliography: Inayat. Twenty Jataka Tales. Link


No comments:

Post a Comment