Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 8 Reflections

As I scan through my reading notes for the semester, I remember all of the very interesting stories I have read. I have been able to mostly maintain a good reading schedule, but it of course changes some weeks because my work schedule changes. Nonetheless, I have been able to do the vast majority of the reading. One thing I was say, though, is that I don't tend to follow the reading notes as closely as I should, in regards to my storytelling that I do one Wednesdays. I think I should probably use the readings as a better barometer for how i would like to write my stories.

I am very happy with the stories that I have been writing so far this semester. This is mostly because I have never in my life seen myself as a writer. So, good or bad, I am very proud of myself for reaching into my bag of creativity and produce the stories that I have.I have learned that you don't have to be a "writer" to be able to create a story that you and others may enjoy. Like I said, I never thought of myself as a writer before this class. As far as my storybook goes, I am very happy with my decision to tell Tragic Stories about Yakshas because I think I have found something unique that not many people have thought about doing a storybook over. To better develop my writing skills, I would like to master the concept of imagery in my writing. I read some stories and people are about to describe things so well that it's as if I can see it right in front of me. I would like to be able to portray this sort of descriptive writing.

I am very impressed by other people's stories in the class. I am very sure that the vast majority of them are better than mine! I don't see many habits in other people's stories that I want to avoid in my own, I really only see things that I would like to be able to do in my stories, mostly regarding plain creativity. I think one thing I could do to give better feedback is be a little more critical and not just focus on what I like about their stories, but also what they could do to make it even better.
Ramayana picture I thought was cool. Link

1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg! It's so great to see that you're really proud of the stories you write. I find it interesting that a lot of people are really good at storytelling, but they're restrained by other aspects that limit their creativity. This class is so nice because it lets your creativity run free. We have the same way of thinking, especially in your last paragraph where you say that you are really impressed by other peoples' stories and that you wish you could give better critiques. Let's hope that we can both improve towards the next half of the semester!

    ReplyDelete