Monday, March 27, 2017

Week 10 reading notes: Jataka Tales, Reading K

The Jakata tales I read last week interested me, so I decided to choose another book of Jakata tales to read for this week.

It is interesting that the birds are of different types. This is something I didn't expect to be the case. A sort of "surprise" is something I could implement into my next writing.

Also, I think it's cool to have a sort of prelude (I think that's the right word) to what the story is going to be about when the king asks one of his assistants to climb  the tree and look in the nest.

The reader can make an educated guess as to what the next will behold (the three wise birds).

I initially found it strange that the king would call the birds his sons because for one, they are birds, and for two, how would he know that the birds would be male?

I thought it was cool that the king was reluctant in deisplaying the wiseness of the birds he possesed.

Also, I though tit was funny that people were like "WTF?" when finding out the king had birds that he called his children.

This story took a different turn for me, as I didn't think it would go as in depth as it did. The story sort of tried to involve religion and moral beliefs. I figured this would be more of a silly story, based on the title.

Again, there is a mention of "The Great Being' to what I assume is a reinenforcement of the idea of having a strong religious input.
                                          Three Wise Birds drawing I found online. Link
Bibliography: Jataka Tales. Link

No comments:

Post a Comment