Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Storytelling, week 3: Sita and Hiran

As the sun sets behind the trees, what was already a dark situation became even more grim. Rama is dying. His wife Sita sits by his side as he bleeds profusely, weeping. A vicious battle that lasted hours had occurred just moments ago. Sita knows that soon she will be all alone...that is, until the rakshasa makes his appearance again. Sita and Rama are no strangers to battles with rakshasas. However, Rama had previously always defeated them. Hiran was a different opponent. A 10 foot tall, dragon like creature with a pure gold covering, Hiran was able to defeat Rama with rapid and vicious slashes given by his fangs to Rama's mid section.

Rama is now dead. Hiran was fighting Rama for Sita. Neither Rama nor Sita knew why, but Sita knows that if Hiran would go to such great lengths to obtain her, that he will be back for her. Rama was able to give substantial damage to Hiran's arms, making it impossible for him to carry Sita away. Sita assumes that Hiran is flying to the Himmat river that many use for its natural healing powers. Unfortunately for Sita, it will be a short journey for Hiran, as he is one of the fastest flying rakshasas the world has ever seen. Hiran knows how badly he injured Rama, and that Sita will not be able to go far without him.

Sita feels hopeless. She is so distraught over Rama's death, she doesn't move. Sita stays by his body. She knows no matter how far she goes into the dense forest, it won't be far enough. No one will be able to protect her and Hiran will find her. The only question is, why does Hiran want her so bad? Why would he go to such great lengths to get her?

Sita, still weeping, hears rustling in the leaves above. Without a doubt, she knows it is Hiran to come and take her away. Hiran, completely healed from the magical Himmat river, reveals himself to Sita. Hiran grabs Sita away from Rama's dead body with his massive gold plated arms. Sita refuses to fight, as she knows there's no point. Rama is dead and she doesn't care what happens to her now.

Sita thinks that it seems as if they've been flying forever. Then finally, Hiran and Sita arrive at a very massive cave. Hiran sets Sita near the entrance and stares at her.

"I've been looking for somebody like you for a long time." Hiran said.

Sita, still in a bit of shock asked, "Why?"

Hiran began to tell a story about his past life. He was once a normal human, like Sita. Hiran was turned into this monster after drinking a mysterious potion that he was told would make him irresistible to women. He was fooled by a local merchant. The effects of the potion slowly appeared over a period of a few years until he was a full blown rakshasa. All Hiran wanted was a woman to make him feel like a man again.

"I will never be your woman!" Sita cried.

"You have no choice.You will live with me forever, and if you don't, you will end up like your husband." Hiran declared.


                                                           (Picture of Sita. Link)

Author's Note: What most intrigues me about Indian stories are the Rakshasa and Rakshasi becasue demon type creatures are very cool to me. I decided to do a story involving a Rakshasa named Hiran and a female character named Sita.

Bibliography: Link to Public Domain Ramayana online 

7 comments:

  1. Your story was very interesting as it followed the real story quite for quite a ways. I was happy to read something familiar with some twists in it. I thought it was cool to write a story with the hero that we all know coming to a formidable end and how the story changes from there. It was cool to see how an evil man wanted nothing more than to be a man again. I like how your story played out and Sita being taken fully and forever, but what would you have done if Rama had been healed like the original story tells, and seeks to find Sita and save her once she had been taken to the cave. I thought that could make the story grow even more. The story you wrote is great and I was happy to read it, the end of the battle and what would happen afterwards caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, I really enjoyed reading your story. Like Sita I was curious of Hiran’s motives until the end. I enjoyed the suspenseful aspect you added to a sad story. I really liked your incorporation of dialogue throughout the story and how you developed each character. I wasn’t sure what to think about Hiran until the very end. Really great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an intriguing story to read. I was constantly wondering throughout the whole story as to why Hiran wanted Sita so badly. Usually a lot of stories end up with the protagonist always winning but it is nice at times to see when the antagonist wins. The heroes in your story seemed completely helpless against Hiran and that is why Sita was smart and chose not to resist. It was a very good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your story! I was wondering why Hiran wanted Sita so bad. Sometimes people want the things that they cannot have. Also, I was not expecting Rama to die. Usually people have the protagonist win but it was interesting to see how the antagonist won this one. I think Sita should of maybe fought back Hiran Overall really great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa this story is definitely not what I had expected but great all the same. I had hoped Rama would have lived, giving that he was highly blessed, but aww he died instead. I wish that Sita would have had the courage to stand up or fight for herself more though. Her beloved had died and she was to be Hiran’s eventually. If I were her, I would die trying to get myself out of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Greg,

    Wow! This story definitely took a different perspective on the battle between Rakshas and respected Gods. I think often times we are always wondering about the respected Gods and their story. We never truly think about what the feelings, motives, and background stories are of the Rakshas. I appreciate the fact that you thought about a story like this! I feel like this story did have some underlying references to the character of Ravana, but I am not sure if that's what you were trying to achieve. I also was not aware of the motives behind the Rakshas which was really cool. I wonder how the story would have been different for us as readers if we were given the backstory of Hiran before the original story even began. Something else that I wondered was what happened next after this story ended. This story definitely left me on a cliff hanger. What if you made a sequel for next week's story? You did a great job of keeping the story flowing. This was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greg,
    Another good story! You pulled me in with the visuals of the scene and waiting for Hiran to return. I was really surprised when Rama was actually dead. My next thought is, would the meeting have gone better if his disclaimer about why he was a rakshasa changed any outcome in the first place. It seems like anytime Rama realized a Rakshasa was cursed for whatever reason he was glad to help them and often they would give him hints as to how he could end their suffering. So, Sita being as fair and loving, although true to her husband, he is now dead. WWRD? What would Rama do? Would he want her to try to see the good in this Rakshasa so that he could be released from his curse also? wouldn't she, as a faithful believer of the ways of their life, want to help this once-man Rakshasa? You could definitely conitnue this story in many ways, Rama might not really be dead and could still save the day. Post on my comment wall if you decide to add to this story please! Great job!

    ReplyDelete