Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Week 6 story planning: King Shantanu's Rage and Downfall



Plan:
 This story that I'm planning to write for next week is about King Shantanu. When reading the
Mahabharata, what stuck out to me was that King Shantanu's first wife abandoned him. I found this most interesting because he is a king and it's strange to think of a king being left. I've decided to make a sad story focusing on King Shantanu's mental state after his first wife left him, and before he found Satyavati. I think it is important to be able to capture a character's true mental state during a tragic event in order to fully understand what they are going through. While the Mahabharata doesn't focus much on the actual split between King Shantanu and Ganga, and more so on the child they produced, I am going to create a depressing time period between Ganga and Satyavati.

Style: The style for this story is going to be very dark, with a lot of King Shantanu's self dialogue with himself. In general, when people are depressed, they have a lot of self doubt. With self doubt, comes a lot of questioning that you do for yourself. We've seen throughout history, that no matter how much wealth or fame somebody has, they can still be depressed. This is what I plan on doing with King Shantanu. The king is all powerful and can do anything he wants, but none of the fame or power will cure his broken heart. 

Characters; 
Ganga: She will play a very small role in this story, as she will only be there for the beginning when she is leaving. This is because I don't want the reader to know what type of person she is, just that she left King Shantanu.

King Shantanu: The king will be the only main character in the story. He will spend most of his time alone, wondering why his first wife, Ganga, was the way she was. He will have a lot of self dialogue and depressing thoughts.

The King's aids; You will never learn their names but they will temporarily check on the King until he tells them to go away.
     (King Shantanu with his second wife after his first left him. (King Shantanu and Satyavati.)

: PDE Mahabharata: King Shantanu and Satyavati. (Link)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Greg! This sounds like a great story plan with a pretty good basis! I was also wondering why Shantanu’s first wife left him so I’m glad you decided to write about it. I also think it’s pretty unique for you to decide to take the sad route for a story. Not many people write about sad/depressing times. My only suggestion for you is: Beware of getting to caught up in trying to make it as depressing as possible and make sure you focus on some story development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Greg!
    I think this is a fabulous plan! You definitely have set out the setting, the development of your characters, and I think this will go well! I think this will definitely be a story that would give a great insight to a scene that was never covered in the book! I am excited to see how the story turns out, and the type of writing style you end up choosing! This would be a hard story for me to write, because I usually love to write about happy endings, but I am sure you will be able to conquer this challenge through your writing! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete