Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Famous Last Words: Hasan Minhaj and this current administration

Last Night, I watched Hasan Minhaj's 20ish minute routine at the White House Correspondents Dinner. If you don't know, this is where a bunch of very rich people and people from news agencies meet up at the White House and they make jokes about each other. Disappointingly, Trump and his people didn't want to make an appearance. But that was to be completely expected, honestly.

First off, I must say, wow! I was laughing throughout his routine. I will admit that you probably have to have more liberal views to laugh at his jokes. Hasan was able to make fun of this administration better than anyone I've seen. The jokes he was throwing out were on point and nearly, but not quite crossing the line. However, that wasn't the best about his performance. What I liked most was, while his jokes about this current administration were hilarious, he spoke a lot of scary truth.

Hasan was able to identify just how scary this administration and others have made politics as a whole. While even most conservative people must admit that the time that this administration has been in the white house has been complete amateur hour, there are still those the support the president fully. Now, I don't want to attack Trump for making promises throughout his campaign that he won't be able to follow through with (all candidates do that), but I will attack him for still acting like he is running a campaign. Where was president Trump during the White House correspondents dinner? Holding a rally in Pennsylvania. What is that about?  A president shouldn't hold rallies while they are in office. A president shouldn't be celebrating his victory over five months after the fact. These are signs of a very strange leader. It doesn't make much sense to me how anybody can support him, but hey, that's politics.

                                          Hasan Minhaj performing stand-up. Link

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, Greg, I was so glad to see this post; when you did that "HUGE" thing in your Kubera story, I was pretty sure you were skewering Trump. And now I know: you were. I'm not sure how long Trump's mark on the English language will last, but he is definitely a linguistic presence at the moment, so that you can conjure him up in a single word. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was hoping someone would catch my knock on Trump in my story!

      Delete